Sunday, August 5, 2007

No Voice for Me!!

Having just downloaded the latest release of the Second Life viewer, which includes voice, I was excited to give it a try. On this quiet Sunday morning, I went out into the world searching for locations where I knew that large groups of people often gathered. What I heard was simply awful.

I thought that I was hearing voices . . . I mean, in real life I work with schizophrenics and they all hear voices and my Second Life voice experience must have been very similar--disconnected voices not coming from anyone. Now of course, the voices were real, but you couldn’t tell who was speaking.

And the quality was very poor. There appears to be a lot of background noise from the microphones and when people spoke, their voices varied in quality with lots of snap, crackle, and pop when they spoke. It just seemed to be a lot more noise in Second Life with voice enabled .

Not worth it! This writer shall be throwing her microphone away and keeping with the keyboard. I come to Second Life to enjoy the creativity, the quiet, and even, from time to time, escape real life, and this intrusion from real life isn’t welcome.

No comments: